Dublin-based Paddy Power
are easily one of our favourite bookmakers and any punter who likes a bet on horse racing – whether it be for fun or serious profit – should not be without an account. The fact that many people who've never had a bet on the horses in their life will have still heard of them is a testament to their often wacky (and sometimes controversial) advertising campaigns – their viral advert showing chavs being 'tranquilised' at the races is almost legendary! But putting all that aside, what really matters to us is their top notch horse racing product.
For starters, there's a £30 free bet waiting for all new customers and while that might not be the biggest bookmaker free bet out there, it's easy to qualify for – more on that below. Once you've registered you will see that they offer all the horse racing markets you'd expect, and a fair few more besides. Their odds are highly competitive too and you often find they are top or joint-top rated when scanning all the bookmakers for the best price available on your selection(s).
What really makes them one of the more punter-friendly bookies out there are their frequent money-back specials and enhanced place terms. We've lost count of the number of times we've had our stakes returned on horses that have finished second in the big race at the weekend, which goes a long way to ease the pain, and they frequently offer an extra place on big races like the Grand National.
New Customer Offer
You can get an amazing £30 free when you join Paddy Power today via this link.Wagering Requirement
- Open a new account, place a £10 bet and get £30 free
- Valid for new customers only.
- Free Bet stakes not included in returns.
- Valid for bets placed on paddypower.com sportsbook only, not valid for lotteries or totepool betting.
- Free Bet valid for 30 days.
- Free bet offer open to residents of Ireland and the UK plus a select number of other countries. Click here to view list of eligible countries.
- Due to the abuse of free bet promotions, customers using Moneybookers or Neteller to deposit will not qualify for this free bet offer.
- Free bet offers are limited to one per person, family, household address, email address, and shared computer. Paddy Power reserve the right to withdraw the availability of free bet offers to any customers.
- If any of the terms are breached or there is evidence that customers are using free bets or other promotional offers to guarantee profits regardless of the outcome, Paddy Power reserve the right to void free bets or any bets funded by bonuses.
Paddy Power were formed in 1988 after a merger of three bookmakers and this in effect made them one of Ireland's biggest bookmakers in terms of retail outlets. Walk down any high street in Ireland and it's odds-on you will see one of their unmistakably green shops, whilst they also have a strong presence in the UK high street.
Paddy Power is a real person, in case you were wondering, and he's high profile too, often appearing in their advertising / marketing campaigns. That probably helps them to connect better with the ordinary punter and in a world of high-tech, faceless companies, it's refreshing to see a bookmaker stand out from the crowd in this way. Not content with a lion's share of the UK & Ireland markets, they have recently branched out into Australia and Italy and you wouldn't bet against them making a success of it.
Odds and Markets
We've already mentioned their competitive odds and these come with a 'best price' guarantee, meaning you can take a price safe in the knowledge you will get paid out at the SP (starting price) if it's bigger. They price up all races too, although usually not until the morning of the race, unlike bet365 for example. The exception being for the big races when they are often first up ante post and frequently offer enhanced place terms. For example, one quarter the odds down to five places, instead of the usual four. That extra place can mean the difference between winning and losing!
For each individual race market, there are several interesting 'extras' unique to Paddy Power, including a 'Betting W/O' market, which effectively takes the favourite out of the equation, and a 'Place Only' market, which can be for either two, three or four places, depending on how many runners there are in the race.
There's also their popular 'Insurebet' markets, which again depend on the number of race runners, and gives punters the option to take a shorter price in return for having their stake retuned if their selection fails to win, providing it finishes in the designated number of places. Fed up of your horses falling? Take a price in their 'Faller Insurance' market which ensures you get your money back if your horse hits the deck. Can't make your mind what to bet on? Hit the 'Race Predictor' tab to launch a virtual running of the race with the outcome decided by Racing Post experts.Website
No quibbles really; it's certainly quick and easy-to-use, although perhaps not quite as 'clean' as some as other bookmakers. That's a minor point, though, and they should be applauded for having one of the easiest sign-up processes in the industry – no excuses for not registering with them today! Their horse racing offering is easily found in the A-Z menu down the left-hand side, and more conveniently under 'Quick Links' above this. From here it's easy to locate the race / horse you want to back – even quicker using the 'Search' option - and there are separate sections for tips (provided by the Racing Post) and results. Here you will also find any racing specials for the day in question, although these are prominently displayed on their homepage.
Their 24/7 customer service cannot be faulted and gets our thumbs-up. They pride themselves on their response times to queries and these are even illustrated on their site, while their staff are well-mannered and polite at all times. We just love their Irish accents!
- Frequent money/cash-back specials – money back if your horse comes 2nd to the SP favourite, for example.
- Get paid out early – Paddy Power are not adverse to paying out before the final outcome for reasons of publicity.
- Easy access to racingpost.com data such as tips and 'Race Predictor'.
- Novelty markets like 'Insurebet' and 'Faller Insurance.
It's no wonder that Paddy Power are such a firm favourite with punters!Live Streaming Details
Paddy Power's horse racing live streaming is available to all UK & Ireland customers and requires a qualifying bet of £1/ €. Simply place your bet and click on the 'Watch Live' link – next to the small tv icon - to launch the live console in a separate pop-up. We like the fact the racing silks are displayed next to the race.
In order to watch your selected UK or Irish race:
- Your PC must meet the minimum set of system requirements in order to view the video feed.
- You need an account and need to be logged in.
- You need to place a single bet of £1/€1 or greater in the win or each way market on the race you wish to view.
- You need to be located within Ireland or the UK.
- You have to place your qualifying bet after 9.30am on the day of the race.
Once you've done this, simply click on the 'Watch Live' button towards the top right of the race information - it's the one that looks like a television. The broadcast will begin 30 seconds before the race is scheduled to start and will last for approximately ten minutes.